Thursday, July 14, 2011

naval gazing

So, I finally got my library card a few weeks ago and I’ve been using the heck out of it! I love that you can go online and request books and just pick them up at the most convenient branch. It’s the little things, people. I’ve also started watching a videocast by SummerTomato and Darya has added several interesting titles to my reading list. Between that and the Sword & Laser group I recently discovered, oh and the eleventy billion books I already own I might have to become a full time book reader… I wonder if there’s any money in that?

So last week I finished up Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think. Great book and super interesting! Though I had heard of several of the studies (I think it was published in 2006 so I’m sure some grabbed the headlines) there were plenty that were new to me and really made me think about how we eat and why. Certainly not because we’re hungry, at least for me…. party tray anyone?

Currently I’m reading Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. I’m finding this one particularly insightful. It’s interesting to read certain examples and think, really? is that why I do that? now how do I change it? Unfortunately, I’m not even half way through so I’m not to the this is how you go about correcting these behaviors bit, but I’m excited to get there. I love reading a book like this where I honestly feel like I’m not being fed magical moonbeams that will miraculously help me in some fashion. What I see so far is realistic expectations if you work for it. And work hard. The key being work hard and since I always feel like a work in process we’ll see how it goes.

Later!

No comments: